Liptrap Loft is a getaway for those who enjoy experiencing wildlife and nature in a charming rural setting.
Welcome to a handmade house that blends modern Japanese-influenced architecture with recycled materials to create an absolute of one-of-a-kind place. We fell in love with this quirky property and bought it in 2005, from the original owner, Jim. Jim had sourced interesting recycled materials and built Liptrap Loft pedantically by hand. His craftsmanship and interest in energy flow can be felt in the overall result by all who visit. We feel this energy is what created such an amazing escape for our guests, and has gone on to form the base of what Dufflebird Getaways is today.
Liptrap Loft can be described as more of a cabin than a house. It's one big, charming, open plan loft with everything you need for a romantic weekend away, or an extended summer stay with your family. Our absolute favourite feature, being our Japanese Bath House, and we hope you enjoy an evening under the stars in the bath, or perhaps an afternoon while keeping an eye out for roos, wallabies, wombats, koalas and beautiful birds overhead.
Just over two hours south-east of Melbourne, Liptrap Loft is set on five acres of beautiful bushland, hidden among the lush farmland of South Gippsland between Tarwin Lower and Walkerville on the Promontory Coast. We can’t imagine a more private, secluded escape from the everyday. We’re only a 30-minute drive to Wilsons Promontory National Park, full of rugged charm and stunning secluded beaches, a place one can never visit too many times.
Everything you need to know
· Liptrap Loft has two sleeping areas - the master bed is a king (the biggest king you can ever imagine), within the main loft
· The second bedroom is adjacent to the main loft, and has two double futons
In total, we can accommodate up to six guests, however we feel four is most comfortable. .
· Japanese Bath House with traditional bath
· Wood fired heater, with wood supply included
· Well appointed kitchen with oven, stove, microwave
· Washing machine and dryer
· Italian style stovetop coffee maker and French press
· Basic provisions including olive oil, spices, tea, coffee, cling-wrap etc
· Blue tooth speaker,, books & board games, however intentionally no TV so you can truly switch off
· Outdoor dining table and chairs on the lawn under the gumtrees
· Fold out lawn-deck chairs
· Outdoor hammock
· Two mountain bikes
· Lawn games
· Well behaved pets welcome, we have a dog enclosure available
Deciding which property is for you? Highlights and considerations of Liptrap Loft, as shared by our most recent guests
· Complete seclusion without a neighbour in sight, except the local wildlife
· Large kitchen with all you need for self catered meals (except a dishwasher – but doing the dishes with our views often leads to wildlife spotting!) / consider Steam Carriage or Otways Loft if being close to eateries is a priority
· 45min drive to stunning Wilson’s Promontory National Park / 12min drive to nearest shops in Tarwin Lower
· Cosy unique space, accommodating couples or small family groups where main bedroom is shared with living areas / Consider Otways Loft for larger groups or those mindful of privacy
· Board games, books and Bluetooth speaker provided, and WIFI for you to bring your own tv or movie streaming devices
· The single level layout usually suits small children / the open plan design may not provide a relaxing stay for families with small children or babies that need frequent naps, there is no fireguard but the fire doesn’t always have to be lit as we also have a split system heater
· Japanese inspired deep bath provides a spa experience (without the bubbles!) in our backyard / the Deep bath with shower and unusually high King four poster bed, may not suit guests with mobility issues
· It's a log cabin and not well insulated for temperature or sound / we have air-conditioning for summer and a wood burner with well stocked firewood and split system heater in winter
· Country living brings exciting sightings of wombats, koalas, wallabies, kangaroos and echidnas to name a few / we supply all you need to avoid mozzies and bugs, but keep in mind snake sightings are potential particularly in the warmer months
· We have a passionate team who are always on hand to assist at anytime, along with an Airguide App with 'how to' guides and compendium onsite to assist with smooth stays
· We have tried our best to provide everything a discerning guest may want or need for a comfortable getaway but please do note our properties are intentionally unconventional, so there are quirks to be found. We believe the quirks create the charm but please consider if you are suited to a property that is unique, rustic and different to a standard home.
Things To Do
Pack your hiking boots and swimsuit. There are lots of beautiful beaches close by and National Parks Close by. Cape Liptrap, Walkerville, Waratah Bay, Sandy Point, and of course the incredible Wilsons Prom.
On booking we provide a comprehensive "Things To Do" guide which includes wineries, distilleries, best eateries, rail trails, local artisans and producers.
You may decide to not leave the property, and simply make the most of the beautiful nearby scenery, and local walks, a chance to truly switch off and relax.
The Finer Details
Our rates are based on two guests, additional guests attract a rate of $50 per person, per night.
Bed linen, towels and cleaning are included in our nightly rate. Beds made up for you on arrival as per your requirements, so please just let us know in advance if you have any preferences.
Pets are welcome to join you for your stay at Liptrap Loft, but we do ask that you keep them off the furniture. The property is fenced with basic three wire farm fencing & is mildly electric, but it is not dog proof, so we have a dog run available behind the shed. .
Split System- Aircon and Heating Added October 2022 to main loft open plan room. There is not a second unit in the bedroom beyond the barn doors.
All rubbish will need to be taken away with you, we have no collection service at Liptrap Loft.
The bathroom is outside via a walkway. There is a powder room near the front door but it is also outside. Stepping into the deep bath to bathe or shower would be problematic for those with mobility issues and is unsuitable for the disabled.
Please no smoking inside, or candles.
Please familiarise yourself with our postponement & cancellation terms and conditions before booking.
Parking and facilities
Parking available , Private Garden
Credit cards accepted, Accessible 24/7, Children welcome, Pets welcome, Smoking not allowed , Unsuitable for elderly or infirm
Deck chairs , Bicycles
Kitchen and dining
Charcoal grill BBQ, Cooking utensils, Kitchen stove, Microwave, Oven, Refrigerator, Spices, Toaster , Vacuum cleaner
Bathroom and laundry
Bed linen, Hair dryer, Clothes dryer, Essentials, Iron & Board, Shower, Towel set, Bathtub, Washbasin , Washing machine
Heating and cooling
Air conditioning , Electric heating
Internet and office
Broadband Internet , Telephone
Credit cards accepted
Smoking not allowed
Unsuitable for elderly or infirm
Check in: 02:00 PM
Check out: 10:00 AM