Otways Loft is the ultimate in unique stays - a secluded hand-built tree-house like no other, nestled amongst the treetops of Forrest. It’s the kind of place you can truly escape and hide away from your everyday.
Otways Loft is full of character, a labour of love for the original owner who lived in a tin shed onsite for over five years while he built her in the 80’s. A curious creation of hand-built raw & recycled material, on an eclectic framework of locally felled Mountain Ash tree poles, spanning up to three stories high. If all you ever wanted as a child was your very own treehouse, then we are sure that Otways Loft will make all your dreams come true.
The original owner had craned in a train carriage to use as a workshop during the build, which remains part of the Dufflebird family as our neighbouring, self contained accommodation, Steam. Parts of that same carriage are now home to the interior of Otways Loft, alongside materials from a nearby church, locally felled timber, and other salvaged bits and pieces from the region. The true definition of a ‘slow home’, and absolutely one of a kind - we are positive you won’t find another home like it.
With a balcony to enjoy the summer nights, and a fireplace to cosy up in winter, your days will slow, as you wander the nooks of Otways Loft, to nestle into a time gone by.
The dawn birdsong is an authentic, country, wake-up-call, right in the heart of Forrest. Otways Loft is part of a historic timber town, the weatherboard shacks, surrounded by towering Mountain Ash, with it’s lush & abundant rainforest. Forrest has been described as a pristine playground for nature-based things to do. We can’t imagine a better hideaway for a completely unique holiday experience, just perfect for a solo creative retreat, romantic getaway with your partner, or to explore as a group with family and friends.
We are so proud to have been featured in The Design Files, Country Style, Nya Rym (Sweden), Elegance Magazine (The Netherlands), Better Homes & Gardens (Australian TV), Owner Builder Magazine (Australia)
Everything you need to know
· Otways Loft has three bedrooms plus a loft - the upstairs master bedroom is the ultimate relaxation, with a beautiful claw foot bath for a soak while looking out to the treetops.
· The upstairs Hemingway Room has a balcony for a peaceful morning coffee, and the option of either a king bed and single, or three single beds.
· The downstairs White Room is a cosy nook with a queen bed and a sliding train carriage door out to the deck
· The third storey Loft has secret ladder access to a double futon, perfect for the kids (perhaps not for for those less nimble!)
In total, we can accommodate up to 8 guests.
If you are looking for a getaway for a larger group, Steam, our neighbouring train carriage accommodation is also available. Otways Loft & Steam combined can comfortably accommodate a group of 10 - 12, with 14 being max capacity.
Usually the properties are available for separate groups with a fence and locked gate in between, and enough distance to allow for complete privacy. If booked together, access to the gate would be available to allow the group to make the most of both properties. We recommend booking early to ensure availability of both properties.
· Free standing claw foot bath in master bedroom
· Newly renovated main bathroom
· Powder room upstairs
· Wood fired heater, with wood supply included
· Air conditioner/split system in lounge room
· Evaporative cooling in master bedroom
· Well appointed kitchen with large oven, stove, microwave
· Dishwasher, washing machine and dryer
· Italian style stovetop coffee maker and French press
· Basic provisions including olive oil, spices, tea, coffee, cling-wrap, dishwasher tablets etc
· Piano, bluetooth speaker, books & board games, however intentionally no TV so you can truly switch off
· Deck & outdoor lounge furniture overlooking the back garden
· Outdoor double hammock
Deciding which property is for you? Highlights and considerations for Otways Loft, as shared by our most recent guests
· Nestled in the main township of Forrest, surrounded by trees and morning birdsong / Be mindful that whilst the Loft is standalone, we do have neighbours and we are likely to have guests at Steam Carriage just over the fence & we’re alongside a laneway that locals & visitors walk, cycle & horse ride along
· Walkable to the General Store, Brewery, Pub and Dar Teta restaurant / May prefer the remote feel of Liptrap Loft if looking for seclusion
· Ride in & out of town to access mountain bike trails
· It's a log cabin and not well insulated for temperature or sound / we have air-conditioning in the living areas in summer and a wood burner with well stocked firewood and split system heater in winter
· 20min drive to beautiful Birregurra, easily access Lake Elizabeth, Stephenson Falls and Barwon River Reservoir
· Large property, comfortably accommodating groups / Consider Steam Carriage or Liptrap Loft as cosy option for a couple
· Board games, books and Bluetooth speaker provided, and WIFI for you to bring your own tv or movie streaming devices
· The Loft is popular with children of all ages (our best critics!) who love our playful & unique design / the stairs are steep and noise does travel so the space may not suit exhausted parents travelling with their little ones, we do have a fireplace guard, high chair & cot and there is a child gate at the top of the stairs
· Country living brings exciting sightings of wombats, koalas, wallabies, kangaroos and echidnas to name a few / we supply all you need to avoid mozzies and bugs, but keep in mind snake sightings are potential particularly in the warmer months
· We have a passionate team who are always on hand to assist at anytime, along with an Airguide App with 'how to' guides and compendium onsite to assist with smooth stays
· We have tried our best to provide everything a discerning guest may want or need for a comfortable getaway but please do note our properties are intentionally unconventional, so there are quirks to be found. We believe the quirks create the charm but please consider if you are suited to a property that is unique, rustic and different to a standard home.
Things To Do
Eating & Drinking
Good coffee is available at the General Store, lunch is sorted if you make it in time for their incredible house made pies and other delicious baked goods. They also stock all the supplies you need for an evening platter of local produce, along with the full range of Otways Distillery gin and other local wines.
Forrest Brewing offers a great menu from breakfast through to dinner, and the beer brewed on-site is a must try.
Platypi Chocolate is the perfect spot for those with a sweet tooth to enjoy an indulgent hot chocolate or casual lunch.
For pub fare, the Terminus Hotel doesn’t disappoint and is open most nights, always with a toasty fire in winter. The highlight? You can truly stay local, and walk to all of these fantastic options.
No doubt you have heard of the renowned Brae restaurant by Dan Hunter, which has been ranked in the top 50 restaurants in the world. Just 20 minutes from Otways Loft and set on a hillside in Birregurra, Brae is a place to be immersed in nature and eat from the land and is truly worth a visit. It will be a memorable experience, but you must book well in advance.
Yield in Birregurra also offers a fabulous degustation menu that is rapidly becoming recognised across the country for their commitment to building a stronger community by linking arms with farmers, makers and producers.
After logging ceased, Forrest was reinvented as a centre for mountain biking and the world class Forrest mountain bike trails have become the region’s signature activity. With over 60 kilometres of sign-posted single track, you will need a few days to make the most of them all! The trails literally surround the town, so our guests have a genuine ride-in, ride-out experience from Otways Loft. If you don’t have your own bikes, you can hire them on the way to Forrest in Anglesea or Geelong.
A beautiful way to explore the rainforest of the Otways is at Otway Fly, with tree top walks and ziplining. It is the longest and highest rainforest skywalk in the world, and is a fantastic experience for kids.
Walks & Waterfalls
Spend your time visiting our favourite waterfalls - Hopetoun, Triplet and Beauchamp Falls. Beech Forest and the Redwood Forest are a must see of the region.
Closer to Otways Loft are Stephenson’s Falls and Lake Elizabeth, where platypus are frequently sighted at dawn and dusk, and glow worms at night. Little Aire Falls, Triplet Falls and the West Barwon Reservoir are also all worth a visit.
We would love to welcome you to experience Otways Loft for your next getaway. As we so often hear from our returning guests, “you will leave truly relaxed, after your days nestled amongst the trees”. If you have any questions, would like to discuss a special occasion or any specific requirements, please do not hesitate to reach out.
The Finer Details
Our rates are based on four guests, additional guests attract a rate of $50 per person, per night.
Bed linen, towels and cleaning are included in our nightly rate. Beds made up for you on arrival as per your requirements, so please just let us know in advance if you have any preferences.
Pets are welcome to join you for your stay at Otway’s Loft, but we do ask that you keep them off the furniture. The yard is fenced but it is not dog proof, so we have a dog run which is a gated section of the balcony. It's roughly two metres wide and ten metres long, running around one corner of the house. We provide a dog bed and bowl, and when we visit we like to set up the bed so our dog can see into the living room from the balcony.
Please no smoking inside, or candles.
Please familiarise yourself with our postponement & cancellation terms and conditions before booking.
Wireless Broadband Internet
Parking and facilities
Parking available , Private Garden
Credit cards accepted, Accessible 24/7, Children welcome , Pets welcome
Deck chairs, Piano , Stereo system
Kitchen and dining
Gas BBQ, Children's high chair, Coffee machine, Cooking utensils, Dishwasher, Kitchen stove, Microwave, Oven, Refrigerator, Spices, Toaster , Vacuum cleaner
Bathroom and laundry
Bed linen, Hair dryer, Clothes dryer, Essentials, Iron & Board, Shower, Towel set, Bathtub, Washbasin , Washing machine
Heating and cooling
Air conditioning, Fireplace , Heating available
Internet and office
Wireless Broadband Internet , Telephone
Credit cards accepted
Check in: 03:00 PM
Check out: 11:00 AM