Understanding The Booking Sites: Stayz and AirBnB
We are hearing a lot of discontent and misunderstandings about Stayz and AirBnB. We thought we could clear some things up.
- AirBnB charges a 3%-5% fee, to hosts, and between 6% and 12% to guests. Larger bookings cost less. Ultimately the end user is paying between 9% and 17%.
- Stayz charges 10% of bookings or 7% of on-line bookings. Any day now Stayz will be on-line bookings only.
The brilliance in the AirBnB system is that they take the booking payment and hold the funds. Payment is transferred to the owner 24 hours after check in. If a guest doesn’t want to miss out on a week in summer peak booking they may book in June or July. AirBnB then holds the full amount until their stay. Smart business! At Dufflebird we find AirBnB easy to use, easy to report with, and the review system means we have more confidence about guests coming in, so we don’t really mind paying a bit of commission.
Stayz model has been changing over the last two years, getting incrementally closer to the AirBnB model. The constant changes and probably the lack of available funds has meant the software has been a bit glitchy for guests and owners. Stayz still have a larger market share and deliver a lot of bookings to us. We built our business on the back of Stayz, so we still have strong loyalty to them. You are most likely paying less commission to Stayz than AirBnB at this stage, but once Stayz has moved to only on-line payments, they will be free to adjust their rates, most likely up.
Why Book Directly With Dufflebird?
We went to great expense and three months’ work this year to create our own booking system at Dufflebird.com.au. There are several reasons. We want to create a community of like-minded people; we want our great guests to come back. We’d prefer to hand feed our known guests than use the listing sites and shoot a net at unknown birds, not knowing whether we’ll catch a Pidgeon or a Swan.
Secondly, there is now way of us knowing what the listing sites will do. It doesn’t seem likely they will offer property managers more autonomy, power or profits, as time goes on. Our insurance is to keep them as one source of bookings, and drop them if they become unreasonable. Thirdly, we hope the website is so well attuned to the sorts of guests we want to attract, that it will be unpalatable to those who aren’t suited. That keeps everyone happy.
Benefits Of Booking Directly
- SKIP BOOKING FEES (AirBnB and Stayz commission rates) and book directly through us (Save 7- 17%).
- Save hours combing listing sites (choose from a flock of 9, all within 2.5 hours of Melbourne, and all well maintained).
- Our focus is on experience rich properties. Destinations in their own right. "Compelling Dwellings". Some more quirky than others, but all surrounded by nature and nature based adventure activities. All close to beaches or waterfalls.
- Up to date availability (not wasting time on listing sites that don't have up to date information).
- Accurate listings , photos and descriptions.
- Fast response time (usually within 2 hours).
- No restricted communication, you can call us or email anytime (AirBnB and soon Stayz force communicate through their channel until after booking).
- Repeat guest booking discounts and benefits.